Breathing & Playing

Saturday, July 17, 2010

The Dilemma of Helping Those on the Streets


If you’ve walked down the streets of New York City or any metropolitan area, you’ve seen the plight of the homeless, begging for change, sleeping on benches, and walking aimlessly.

When I see someone like this I feel the urge to throw them a couple of dollars. Yet, I’ll admit it; something inside me stops me from doing so. I debate whether it’s the right thing to do. I ask myself;

“Are they really going to use the money to buy food?”

“Is this just putting a band aid on a more severe and long term problem?”

“If this person is really desperate, why aren’t they trying to seek assistance at the numerous organizations set up to help them?”

“Will I be putting myself, those with me, or strangers walking by in harm’s way?”

So the dilemma certainly isn’t about money. I’m not greedy. I’m happy to donate money to a trusted organization that will feed and provide shelter to the homeless.

What do you think? I want to hear your opinions and stories. Is it good to help a beggar? Better to donate to a charity set up to provide more effective help? Please post in the comment section below.

Photo by Mitch2742